Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Shh...listening to podcasts

Found an archived podcast from the BBC, "Can America Go Green?"http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/worldservice/meta/dps/2007/11/071102_americagreen1b?size=au&bgc=003399&lang=en-ws&nbram=1&nbwm=1&bbram=1&bbwm=1
Good question. Are we to busy figuring out how to do podcasts and make tinier computers and cell phones (with toxic parts that pollute in the making and at the end of life of these devices) to make the small (everyday recycling and composting) and big (what cars we buy/our commutes) adjustments to help keep the world in a livable state for humans. Most of the focus is on our biggest problem - cars. The electric car sounds great except for the issue of where that electricity is coming from - nuclear, hydroelectric, solar, etc. Along with the fact that none of the big car companies want to make them (not enough profits at the start or throughout the life of the car). The news is always so bright and cheery don't ya think?
Setting aside the content of the 'programme', podcasts and especially archived news podcasts are nice since you can catch the show you missed cause the dog was needing to go out, the phone rang, etc. I was able to find the title of a book my father and I had heard about on the radio (radio in our home and car is NPR 90% of the time) by searching the archived programs. Now my father can buy a copy of the book for his friend. Pretty neat but not something I will use all the time.
Side note - It is really difficult to listen when I can't get any sound when I plug my headphones into the monitor. Instead have to bend forward and not move my head when the headphones are plugged into the jack on the front of the cpu (cause I don't have an extra long cord on the headphones).
Argh.

1 comment:

Constance said...

Great point about using program archives. Now I see a real purpose for this podcast thing.

I scavenged some ancient external speakers and plugged them into my computer at home. Problem about short cord solved... unless you're using a library or work computer. Then, you are probably thinking "keep you're annoying comments to yourself, constance, and go do your homework."